Sunday, 7 April 2013

IRL

As noted (?) I've been absent. Finding a new job and well, life in general I guess, sort of got in the way of my digital life and this blog. Apologies here and now to all the people in far away places that I've unintentionally disappeared on.

My new job is without doubt the most exciting thing that has happened. I've started working for a very cool american company, and I'm totally in that honeymoon period where extra hours feels like extra lovin'. My job scope is all about marketing communications and I'm equal parts terrified of not meeting expectations as I'm thrilled to do something I really like. Updates will follow.

So let's see, March was an active party month. Going single means going out, at least the needs&wants for it is much bigger. Checking out Singapore nightlife is indeed a fascinating experience, and there will be lots to talk about on this subject I'm sure. However the first thing that strikes me is the unavoidable feeling of living in a teeny tiny little bubble. How come everyone knows everyone when there are 5 million of us on the island?!? 

Actually the government has told the people that Singapore targets to be 6.9 million people by 2030. This has caused an outrage. How? HOw?! HOW?!?! Common comments include "The MRT (public transport) is already so crowded!" Where to live, housing be built in ocean or what?" "I tell you what will happen, us Singaporeans will be called Singaforeiners" (assuming that so many foreigners will be accepted that Singaporeans will be a minority in their own country). 

Around the same time of the outrage, a sinkhole appeared suddenly on Clementi Rd. A sinkhole is a deep hole that simply appears in the ground with no warning. This is a natural phenomenon  and the very circular holes can be big enough to swallow a house. The one in Clementi pushed a motorcyclist of his bike, but no one else was harmed. The local media Straits Time uploaded a picture of the thing and reading the comments was simply hilarious. A selected few:
- Sin.gap.ore
- Gahmen (government) solving the 6.9million issue?
- Road tax rebate NOW!!
- Hell needs a little air?
- Actually this situation is really dangerous, why was there no warning signs put up??
- Go into the hole and follow the tracks, probably end up in China. Materials and workmanship all from China mah. (here "made in China" is another way of saying "crap quality") ("mah" is just a way to enforce your statement)

Shall do my best to go back to the weekly updates!




3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you're back! Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *löv*
      Kanske en kaffe utflykt i helgen?

      Delete
    2. Jag och M ska utmana vårt äktenskap genom att vara med i en badmintonturnering... Men jag hoppas att vi hinner dricka kaffe också... :)

      Delete